Natural Mood Boosters
There are things you can do through out the day to bring about a better mood, whether it is the foods you eat or things you do. Food and mood are closely related. So let me share some natural mood boosters.
Good Mood Food
When certain chemicals are in adequate supply in the Brain, it raises your mood or calms you.
It is not a matter of reaching for stimulating foods such as coffee to pick you up, although it can be a nice pick up for a little while. Instead go for what will be good mood food. These foods help, as they have nutrients in them that support brain chemistry such as Seretonin and Dopamine, to give you a good feeling. You can see a detailed article about this on LifeExtension. Click here.
Seretonin helps give a stable mood or to balance your brain if it is too much of an excitatory state. It also helps regulate your sleep cycle, aids with digestion, aids with pain control and carbohydrate cravings.
Dopamin helps you to focus and remember things better – such as what you just finished reading, or where you put your keys. Dopamine also aids in your desire / motivation to get things done.
Check out these mood boosting foods:
Fish such as Salmon, Sardines and Tuna, not only because it is a protein, containing Amino Acids the Brain can use, but because of the omega 3 fatty acids.
Good quality dark Chocolate, without a lot of sugar added. Just a couple squares at a time, not a bar. This gives you a dopamine rush, which is a feel good hormone. This is a well known mood boosting foods choice.
Sprouts – They provide a lot of fresh nutrition and are energizing. Add to sandwhiches and salads or eat some by themselves.
Tart cherries, because they help the body produce melatonin, which raises Seretonin levels.
Drink some Green Tea as it is rich in amino acids and antioxidents. This will improve moods while reducing anxiety and stress.
Eat a Banana. It has Vitamins, Minerals and Tryptophan in it, which is an amino that will raise the Seretonin level.
Did you notice, that mood boosting foods are not filled with chemicals or preservatives? Those things tend to excite the brain and can become addictive. This is the opposite of what you want. Naturally good food and mood are tied in together.
Mood Boost By Getting Things Done
There are small things you can do to not only give you a mood boost, but help you feel good or give you a sense of accomplishment at the same time.
- Declutter an area in your home or declutter your desk. Even 10 minutes can make a difference.
- Do a few minutes of stretches.
- Call someone you have not talked with for a while. Perhaps walk around while you talk, getting a little exercise in. Most of us are too sedentary.
- Set aside 10 to 15 minutes to read something you enjoy.
- Give yourself a facial, or have a warm water epsom salts foot soak or bath. Pamper yourself once in a while, for relaxation and knowing you are taking care of your well being.
- Listen to your favorite music, while getting some chores done.
- Journal about the good things in your life and what you are happy about.
- Catch your negative thoughts and rephrase that to something positive.
Hopefully you have the idea now, that mood boosters can be eaten or tapped into throughout the day, especially when you start to feel a little down.
Good mood food is very important to help keep the brain chemistry balanced, give you more motivation and help level out anxiety and depression.